Chandrapur Pin Code
Chandrapur Std Code
Jobs in Chandrapur
List of Colleges
List of Institutes
List of Schools
Chandrapur District is a district in Nagpur Division of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The district was formerly known as Chanda District. In 1964, it was renamed as Chandrapur. It was the largest district in India until it was split into the separate district of Gadchiroli. It had a population of 2,071,101 of which 32.11% were urban as of 2001.
It is famous for its superthermal power plant, one of the biggest in Asia, and its vast reserves of coal. Chandrapur also has large reservoirs of limestone. The abundance of lime and coal supplies many cement factories (like L&T (now UltraTech Cement), Gujarat Ambuja (Maratha Cement Works), Manikgarh and ACC) in the district.
Tadoba National Park near Chandrapur is one of India's 28 Project tiger reserves.
The city of Chandrapur, the administrative headquarters, has ancient temples of Ankleshwar (Lord Shiva) and Mahakali (Goddess Mahakali).
Chandrapur district comprises 15 talukas, namely Chandrapur, Ballarpur, Rajura, Bhadravati, Warora, Chimur, Nagbhid, Bramhapuri, Sindewahi, Mul, Sawali, Gondpipri, Korpana, Pombhurna and Jiwati.
The district has six Vidhan Sabha (legislative assembly) constituencies: Rajura, Chandrapur, Ballarpur, Warora, Brahmapuri and Chimur. Rajura, Chandrapur, Ballarpur and Warora are part of Chandrapur Lok Sabha constituency. Brahmapuri and Chimur are part of Gadchiroli-Chimur Lok Sabha constituency.
The entire area of the district falls in the Godavari basin. The area is drained by major tributaries of the Godavari River. The major Tributaries are the Wardha, the Wainganga and the Penganga rivers. The Penganga, flowing along part of the Western boundary, meets the Wardha river at Wadha near Ghugus to form the Wardha river. It further flows in NW-SE direction finally merging into the Wainganga river at the south eastern corner of the district. After this confluence the river at the south eastern corner of the district. After this confluence the river along with their sub tributaries rising in the uplands within the district drain whole area of the district. Rising in the uplands within the district drain whole area of the district.
The Wainganga river which flows along the border of Chandrapur and Gadchiroli district is the main river of the district. The Wardha is the only perennial river in the district having the longest river course as compared to the other two major rivers. The main tributaries of the Wardha river are the Erai rises in the northern part of Warora tahsil and flows along due south over a length of 80 km. until it meets the Wardha just south of Chandrapur. The Penganga flowing along western border takes east west course and then joins the wardha river at Wadha near Ghugus. The area occupied by Gadchiroli tahsil and part of Rajura tahsil is drained by the Penganga and its tributaries.
The historical embracing of Buddhism, the ‘Deeksha’ ceremony, by Dr. B. R. Ambedkar and his followers took place in the city in 1956. Babasaheb Ambedkar embraced Buddhism along with his family members on 14 October 1956 at Nagpur. Soon after that, Babasaheb Ambedkar,converted millions of his followers who came from several parts of the country, to Buddhism. On 16 October 1956 Dr. B. R. Ambedkar gave Diksha of Buddhism to his followers at Chandrapur. Afterward this place is known as “Deeksha Bhoomi”. Deeksha literally means acceptance of religion and Bhoomi means land. So, literally Deeksha Bhoomi means the land where people get converted to Buddhism. Chandrapur is the birthplace of barrister Rajabhau Khobragade. Ambedkar chose only Nagpur and Chandrapur for Dharmantar (acceptance of Buddhism) and therefore Chandrapur has historical importance. Barrister Rajabhau Khobragade established “Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar college of Arts, Commerce and Science” in the Deeksha Bhoomi premises. A branch of Buddhivruksha from Buddha Gaya is planted in the premises and is growing gracefully. Two day function of “Dhamma Chakra pravartan din” is hosted on 15th and 16th October every year on this holy place. Thousands of pilgrims and monks visit Deekshabhoomi during the function.
Deeksha Bhoomi is just 1km away from railway station and bus stop. Auto rickshaw is easily available conveyance to this place.
The district Chandrapur was earlier known as 'Chanda' according to tradition and legend the name of the place was 'Lokapura' which was first changed to ' Indpur' and subsequently to Chandrapur. During the British colonial period it was called Chanda district, which was again changed to its original name 'Chandrapur ' around 1964. Other places of the region in ancient times include wairangad, Kosala, Bhadravati and Markanda. Hindu and Buddhist kings are said to have ruled the area for a long time, Later on Gonds overtook Dana Chiefs who ruled Chandrapur around 9 th century and Gond Kings ruled the area till 1751 after which Maratha period started. Raghuji Bhosale, the last King of the dynasty, died heirless in 1853 and Nagpur province together with Chandrapur was declared annexed to British Empire.
In 1854, Chandrapur formed and independent district and in 1874, it comprised of three tehsils Viz Mul, Warora and Bramhpuri. In 1874, however, upper Godavai district of Madras was abolished and four tehsils were added to Chandrapur to form one tehsil with Sironcha as its headquarters. In 1895, the headquarters of one tehsil transferred to MUl to Chandrapur. A new tehsil with headquarter at Gadchoroli was created in 1905 by transfer of zamindari estates from Bramhpuri and Chandrapur tehsil. An small zamindari tract from Chandrapur district as transferred to newly from districts in 1907. In the same year and area of about 1560 sq. km. comprising of three divisions of the lower Sironcha tehsil namely Cherla, Albak nad Nugir were transferred to Madras State.
No major changes occurred in the boundaries of the district or its tehsils between 1911-1955. Consequent upon reorganization of the states in 1956, the district was transferred from Madhya Pradesh to Bombay state. In the same Rajura tehsil, a part of Adilabad district of Hydrabad state, was transferred to Nanded district subsequently it was transferred to Chandrapur district in 1959. the district became part of the Maharashtra since its creation in May 1960. For administrative convenience and industrial and agricultural development , this district was again divided into Chandrapur and Gadchiroli district after 1981 census. Chandrapur district now comprises of the tehsil of Chandrapur , Bhadravati, Warora, Chimur, Nagbhir, Bramhpuri, Sindhewahi, Mul, Gondpipri, Pomburna, Saoli, Rajura, Korpana, Jivati and Balharshah.