Jalna city is situated on the banks of Kundalika river, (at latitude 19o 50' 42" north and longitude 75o 56' 15" east) is the premier commercial centre of the Marathvada egion. It is the headquarters of tahsil & district to which it gives its name and is well served by a network of good roads connecting it not only with the chief towns within the district, but also with centers of commercial importance outside the district. It has the additional advantage of being a railway station on the Manmad - Kacheguda route. Tradition ascribes the foundation of the town as far back as the time of Rama, the hero of Ramayana, whose consort Sita is supposed to have resided here. The local still point out the place where Ramas palace stood. It was then known as Janakpur. Subsequently, as the desire of a wealthy Muhammedan merchant, who is said to have been a great benefactor of the place, the name was changed to Jalna, from his occupation of Julaha or weaver. Jalna is a muncipal town and continues to be an impotant handloom and powerloom weaving centre. Among the handloom societies working on co-operative basis, the foremost is the Markandeya Handloom weaving society having nearly 87 looms. Like Aurangabad and Paithan, the town was once known for the manufacture of fine gold and silver thread and silk textiles. There are also cotton ginning and pressing factories and an agricultural market produce committee handling large quantities of all kinds of agricultural produce, including cotton. In view of the overall industrial backwardness of the region, the state government has initiated a master plan to encourage the establishment of of small and large- scale industrial units. Under this plan Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) has set up an industrial area in Jalna consistingh of ...large-scale, ...medium scale and ..small scale industries. Jalna industrial area has a large number of steel rolling mills, a unit manufacturing ball bearings, agro based units like dal mills and most significant being large number of seed manufacturing units; Mahyco, Mahindra, Bejo-Shital are some of them. The MIDC has recently anounced to setup bio technology park (BT Park) at Jalna with the help of private sector units. This park will give a tremendous boost to the BT sector in the backward area of Marathvada. Jalna being the headquarters of district, tahsil and industrial trade centre, has the offices of District Collector, Zilla Parishad, & Supt Of police besides District Court and various other govt. offices. It has a well equiped Civil Hospital. Besides Jalna town also has a missionary Hospital and an a most modern Eye Hospital amely Ganapti Netralaya run by a private trust . Jalna has educational facilities upto the post graduate level, primary & secondary education being looked after by the Zilla arishad. A large weekly market is held on Tuesday at which cattle are also bought and sold; in fact Jalna is one of the prominent cattle markets of the region . The climate of Jalna is admirably suited for the cultivation of the fruit trees, and the fruit gardens yield a large variety of different kinds of fruits, including grapes of very fine and delicious quality.
Jalna was surrounded by a mud and brick wall but it is all in ruins except two gates, knwon as the Murti Darwaza and the Hyderabad gate. Jamshed Khan, the governor during Malik Akbar's time constructed a fine Masjid and a sarai, also the Moti Talav, a large tank to the west of the town. A system of underground pipes conveyed water to reserviors, in the town. the largest of which is in quadraangle of the sarai. The system is no longer in working order. When the city was at the height of its prosperity it had five tanks. Jalna now derives its water supply mainly from the Jaikwadi Dam and also Ghanevadi tank.
During Akbars time Jalna was held in as jagir by one of his generals, and Abul Fazl has made it his residence for a short period. Nizam -ul- Mulk Asaf Jah also favoured the town as being more healthy than Aurangabad and it was he who ordered Kabil Khan in 1725 to build the fort together with citadel situated to the east of the town and which is today known as Mastgad. The citadel is being used to accomodate the muncipal offices. The fort is quadrangular in shape,with semi circular bastions at the corners. It is reported that the inner and the outer gates were constructed by Asaf Jah himself in 1711and 1723, respectively. The citadel bears of Persian inscription recording the date when it was constructed. Within the citadel is a large well containing a series of galleries and chambers which are now filled up with rubbish. At the entrance to the well is a defaced inscription in Balbodh. Subsequently a part of Land revenue of Jalna was collected by the Marathas. The place has had frequent changes of masters. For a long time, it was held by one of the Shinde's dependents, but shortly after the battle of Udgir in 1760, a rival claimant from Pune endeavoured to seize it. A sanguinary conflict took place which resulted into the discomfiture of the Pune sardar. It was taken possession of by Colonel Stevenson's Troops in 1803 in the famouse battle of Assaye, a village in Jafrabad tahsil on the river of Juah located arround 10 K.M east of Bhokardan . After the extinction of the Maratha power, it finally reverted to the Nizams of Hyderabad. In 1855 it was the scene of a conflict between the Rohilas and the Company's troops. After a stubborn conflict in which about 100 were killed or wounded on both sides, the Rohilas surrendered.
Welcome to Jalna district.
Jalna district is approximately situated at the center part of Maharashtra state of Republic of India and in northern direction of Marathwada region. Specifically district lies between 19o1 north to 21o3 North Latitudes and 75o4 East to 76o4 East Longitude. Jalna was formerly a part of Nizam State and after the Marathwada Mukti Sangram, became part of India, as a tahsil of Aurangabad district.
Jalna district erstwhile a part of Aurangabad district was formed on 1st May 1981 by carving out Jalna, Bhokardan, Jafrabad, Ambad tahsils of Aurangabad district and Partur tahsil of Parbhani district. The boundaries of Jalna district are adjacent to Parbhani & Buldhana on east, Aurangabad on west, Jalgaon on north and Beed on south. Jalna district covers an area of 7,612 Sq.Kms, which is 2.47% of the total state area.
The district head quarter is at Jalna & well connected to state capital and national capital by broad gauge railway line. Major towns of the state are also connected by state highways. Jalna district is well known for it's hybrid seed industries, steel re-rolling mills, bidi industry & agro based industries like dal mill. The district is also known for the highest production of Sweet Lemon(Mosambi) in the state.
The peoples of Jalna district played a important role in the Marathwada Mukti Sangram, in which Shri. Janardan Mama Nagapurkar of Jalna laid down his life for motherland.