Wardha is a city and a municipal council in Wardha district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is the administrative headquarters of Wardha district. Wardha gets its name from the Wardha River which flows at the North, West and South boundaries of district. Founded in 1866, the town is now an important centre for the cotton trade. It is the administrative center of Wardha District
As of 2011 India census, Wardha had a population of 1,296,157 Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Wardha has an average literacy rate of 80%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 76%. In Wardha, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
It was included in the empire of the Mauryas, Sungas, Satavahanas and Vakatakas. Pravarapura, modern Pavnar was once the capital of the Vakataka dynasty. Vakatakas were contemporary of Imperial Guptas. Prabhavatigupta, the daughter of Chandragupta II (Vikramaditya) was married with Vakataka ruler Rudrasena. The period of Vakatakas was 2nd to 5th century CE. The empire stretched from the Arabian sea in the west to the Bay of Bengal in the east, and from the Narmada river in the north to the Krishna-Godavari delta in south.
Later on, Wardha was ruled by the Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Yadavas, the Delhi Sultanate, the Bahamani Sultanate, Muslim ruler of Berar, Gonds and Marathas. Raja Buland Shaha of Gonds, Raghuji of Bhonsale were the prominent rulers in the Medieval period.
During the 1850s Wardha, (then a part of Nagpur) felt into the hands of British. They included Wardha in the Central Provenance.
Wardha is a sister city for Sevagram, and both were used as major centers for the Indian Independence Movement, especially as headquarters for an annual meet of the Indian National Congress in 1934, and Mahatma Gandhi's Ashram.
The existing Wardha district was part of Nagpur district till 1862. Further it was separated for convenient administrative purposes and Kawatha near Pulgaon was the district Head quarter. In the year 1866, the district head quarter moved at Palakwadi village which is the existing place and then Wardha city developed there. In Wardha there is a village called Pavanar where Acharya Vinoba Bhave lived. momento of charkha in gandhi dist. wardha citys old name palakwadi Magan Sangrahalaya is National Museum Gandhi Charkha is the simbol of wardha dist. Ganghi Chakha (Teek wood) seling point Magandeep Khadi Bhandar,Sewagram, and Magandeep khadi Bhandhar,wardha
 Religion and Culture
Marathi Sahitya Sammelan, the conference on Marathi Literature were held once in Wardha city. It was presided by President of the Conference Purushottam Shivram Rege in 1969.